2008 was GREAT!
- TV-10 students won SEVEN awards at the Illinois Broadcasters Association Student Silver Domes in November
- First Place in the TV Spot category to Jason Boyer and Bailey Hume for "Support the Troops," a :30 Public Service Announcement
- Third place in the TV Spot category to Alyse Braun for "Bad Weather Makes Us Work Harder," a :30 promo about TV-10's severe weather coverage
- First Place in the TV Sports Pack category to Andrew Barra and Matt Zickus
- First Place in TV Photojournalism to Dan Coad
Second place in TV Photojournalism to Jason Boyer
Third place in TV Photojournalism to Sang-hyun Park
- First place in TV Longform Program to Jacob Long, Erin Lawson, Peter VanderHye and several others for "The 33rd Comes Home: A TV-10 Special Report"
- TV-10 students won FIVE awards and TWO scholarships at the Illinois News Broadcasters Association Spring Convention in April
- Senior Christy Stelzer and junior Jacob Long won two of the four scholarships INBA offers each year. The $1100 awards are highly competitive, with applicants from nine Illinois colleges and universities.
- First Place in the Outstanding Hard TV Program category went to a TV-10 News Special Report "The 33rd Comes Home." Produced by Jacob Long, the show featured the work of seniors Peter VanderHye, Paula Reed, Blake Long, Sang-hee Lee and Cody McClellan, junior Andrew Barra, and December 07 graduates Pat Brown, Erin Lawson and Adam Rahn, on the day the 33rd Military Police Battalion returned from duty in Iraq. This is the fourth consecutive year TV-10 has claimed first place in this category.
- First Place in the Outstanding Soft TV Program category for "Hollywood Corner," a weekly movie-themed program. The winning episode featured the life and career of James Dean, including a trip to Dean's boyhood home in Indiana. The show is produced, hosted and edited by senior Jeff Conway, with contributions from seniors Diana Salmonson and Jessica Todd.
- First Place in the Outstanding Videography category went to junior Dan Coad. His entry featured several pieces of his work, including a photo-essay on a wood-turner.
- Honorable Mention to senior Christy Stelzer in the category of Outstanding News Reporting
- Honorable Mention to senior Kyle Anderson for Outstanding Use of Sound.
COMMUNICATION WEEK 2008
pictured at left:
Kyle Anderson, 2008 winner of the Vicki Kelley Memorial Scholarship, Jeff Conway, 2008 Outstanding Senior in Journalism, and Andrew Barra, 2008 winner of Martin Duffy Memorial Scholarship
pictured at right:
Steve Brandy '89, Outstanding Alumnus in Journalism, now news anchor and reporter at WJOL-AM, Joliet,
and R.C. McBride '99, Outstanding Alumnus in Mass Communication, now Program Director
and afternoon drive host at WJBC-AM, Bloomington